Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cover of the Day


Pretty humorous piece in The Wall Street Journal about Chris Snyder, who is yet to steal a base in MLB despite 2,094 trips to the plate.  Some of the good lines include:
  • "That's the hot topic around here, man. Everyone's talking about how slow I am: teammates, umpires, the coaches, everybody."
  • That includes Snyder, who said he has been begging the coaching staff for the "green light" to run.
  • "This is the year.  I mean, I'm 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds. Over the years, I've learned what kind of player I am. So I've learned, for example, when I can take an extra base and when I can't. I can't more times than not."
  • Snyder has been thrown out on both of his career attempts
  • But then disaster, just a few feet short of second base. "I face-planted," Snyder said. "Lost it, tripped, fell. And I would've had it, too."
In honor of Chris Snyder, today's cover of the day dates back to October 16, 1989.  Someone who didn't have this problem...

No comments: