Friday, June 24, 2011

Submission of the Day

From J.P.F., one of our favorite followers and a member of one of our favorite bands that is still coming together after nearly a decade of rehearsals, Sloppy Tuna, comes this nice observation...

"I just saw an advertisement that BMW is the official car sponsor of the US Olympic team...  I appreciate a sharp, reliable car as much as the next guy.  I just purchased, with very little guilt, a Honda Accord, something several of our Grandfathers would have scoffed at...Still, for a number of reasons, it saddened me a little.  I also couldn't help but wonder how many people INSTANTLY, as I did, raised an eyebrow at the overwhelming irony of the sponsorship- that the cornerstone of German engineering, that once fueled the German war machine, whose corporate symbol gives homage to its history as a manufacturer of the prop-engines that (I assume) roared over both our boys, and the streets of our allies emerald cities, now sponsors our Olympic program- what was once perhaps the premier symbol of our national power and identity.  I also couldn't help but instantly think of two names- Adolf Hitler and Jesse Owens."

No comments: